Thursday 14 October 2010

Confessions of a Northern Monkey


Preston North End have been through many lows and significantly fewer highs in the past thirty years. One man who can claim to have lived and breathed them all is Bill Routledge. Having declined contributing to various "hooligan" books throughout the years, Bill decided it was time to finally put pen to paper on his experiences following Preston up and down the country and England around various corners of the globe.

A humorous yet serious insight into life as a football casual, "Waiting for Glory" has been on bookshelves for over two years now but its phenomenal success has seen it recently be re-released under a new banner – "Oh Yes, Oh Yes, We Are the PPS".

We recently had a chat with Bill about a great deal of things – his motivation behind publishing his own book, his addiction to football violence, as well as his latest project.

First things first – thanks a lot for taking the time out do this interview, Bill.
Firstly, could I thank you too for managing to slot this catechize in during your busy schedule at Jimmy Jazz HQ. I also hope the interrogation isn’t half as grilling and intense as some that I’ve had over the years! Coz, if so, I might go no comment on some of the questions – ha.

What made you want to write about your experiences at the football?
Since the publication of Steaming In, Colin Ward, and Bloody Casuals, Jay Allen, in 1989, bookstores shelves have been a flooded with literature on the genre of the darker side of following football in erstwhile times. Bygone eras when lacing up a pair of boots on a Saturday wasn’t reserved just to the kit man at some soulless Premiership Club, for a prima donna so-called footballer who hasn’t got a clue how to do so, or a multifarious pair with Velcro straps - like things are nowadays. Only around the early to mid-Nineties I was approached on several occasions about contributing to books on the same ilk off diverse individuals whom I did, and didn’t know – I declined their offers because of a multitude of reasons. I’d never really taken timeout and sat down to read at length any of the biography’s on shenanigans at the match, I’d merely flicked through such books.

But, while away on duty in Germany for the World Cup in ’06, my mobile began both ringing and vibrating with messages at an alarming rate. The local rag back home had run a feature on a newly released book; Hooligans 2, by Nick Lowles & Andy Nicholls. In this book someone named Billy had told their stories about following Preston North End over the years, and many associates of mine presumed it was me – presumption, eh! Well, is wasn’t. But as usual, the finger was being pointed, once again. These stories on North End in the book were from a different epoch from when I were running amok in the UK (and on foreign soil, too). I’d been asked to be bestower to the inscriptions in the said book though, only I waned the invite once again.

Once back in Blighty the phone went again – it being a close mate – asking if I would consider putting pen to paper on putting the record straight on what really went on, on PNE match days and he would cover our England trips. After mulling over 30 years of hurt, and asking her-in-doors who wears the pants, the conclusion was YES, I would – what was I letting myself in for?

The main problem was that it was nearly 30 years since I’d written anything of length, apart from Crimbo and birthday cards, and statements of innocence for numerous allegations over the years. So, I’d to re-educate myself, brushing up on my wide knowledge of English, read the copious lore’s on naughtiness to get a feel of ‘what sells’ and get my head into gear for 4 or 5 nights writing a week for near on two years.

How did your mates react to the news that you were going to be writing a book about the experiences you shared with them?
Most were full of encouragement and vast minefields of priceless information that the old cerebrum hadn’t absorbed due to being intoxicated or in a narcotic trance at the period of juncture – just say no, children. Most asked for their names to be altered for the content of the book though. These ‘mates’ range from hod carriers, clay artists, teachers, solicitors and even a lad who’s now a millionaire! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. Other’s scorned, chortled and some sadly commented that I would never pull it off – I must add 99% of these were behind my back. One report even came back through the grapevine that it was a form of grassing. Really? For someone who has more skeletons in their closet than Chas off CasualCo has coats in his wardrobe, I wouldn’t dream of dropping anyone in any defecation. They should have known me better. I guess, they didn’t really know me at all then? He who laughs last, laughs loudest – or summet along them lines.

What was the appeal of football violence to you?
It was a way of life for most football going youths back then. ‘It’ seemed to go hand-in-hand with be young, watching football and, you’d to defend your End for the pride of Club – extreme loyalty to the core. Reflecting on ones misdemeanours today, they’re rather impetuous and nonsensical but impassioned undertaken deeds nonetheless. And these happenings are social history of the time and need documenting, just like the Mods ‘n’ Rockers knocking seven bells out of each other on Brighton beach in the Sixties, and so on.

I will also say, I was addicted to FV, and desideratum dictated that I required my fix every week.

If you had to pick your favourite moment from following either Preston or England down the years, what would it be?
North End would be beating Birmingham on penalties at Deepdale, in the two-legged Play-off’s in season 2000/01. The Play-off Final at Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium, were a step to far again to reaching the Promised Land, the Premiership . And the final at the same venue in 2004/05, is one of the worst moments/games witnessed – a 1-0 defeat at the hands of the ‘ammers, who we’d thumped home & away the term. I’ve had more lows following the Lilywhites that highs I can tell you, plenty.

England: it has got to be the 5-1 annihilation of the Germans in Munich, 1st September 2001 – the game is etched in the grey matter forever. Munich Magic. A Michael Owen hat-trick, Stevie G chipping in and, even Heskey scored – I’m sure there was a song that did the rounds? The trip became a full blown winner. A mate and me had been double booked on the flight home to Manchester so, they sorted alternative ones viva Southampton first class – free drinks, the full Monty - and, gave us 150 quid compo – we’d only paid £55 for 'em anyway, ha. At tournaments England’s performances have always been a letdowns, apart from Italia ’90. But the Sours stole our passage in to the final that WC, again –less said the better. Great times to follow England though.

Waiting for Glory was self published. Was there a lot of financial risk in doing it this way?
Yes, and no. Aside from putting my balls on the chopping block, I’d to shell out around 5k to get the book to print with associated costs. And the first run of 2,000 - delivered to my doorstep within 24hrs one Friday afternoon - were, to put it politely, cocked-up! They’d printed one chapter twice and missed one out. The launch I’d booked for the Saturday kinda went ahead, venue paid for, DJ & band booked and, two humongous pans of Lancashire hot-pot made plus mushy, red cabbage and gorgeous Northern gravy on the go too. I say kinda went ahead. The Old Bill closed it down before the band had finished setting-up – a story in itself. We’d to throw 95% of the hot-pot in the bin, heartbreaking indeed.

The second launch was a success done by word of mouth, mum’s the word fashion.

One of the main reasons for self-publishing was that I didn’t want to be forced to chop and change stories and have some form of ghost writer get a grip of the anecdotes and end up finding my ‘humorousness’ didn’t shimmer through the ramblings. I also didn’t want to glorify, advocate or promote violence in any kind of form whatever, just bury quite a lot of skeletons. Also, Borders went bang on us owing me a large cash sum and monies off certain others are still owed to this day.

A near two years later and I’d completely sold-out, bar the odd copy here and there. And, due to WFG’s phenomenal success, John Blake Publishers took the book on. They’ve heave-hoed the England stories and snipped a bit of celebrate substance text too, but there’s still 433 pages to flick through while on the khazi.

You are currently working on another book: Northern Monkeys. Tell us a bit about this. How will it differ from Waiting for Glory/ Oh Yes, Oh Yes, We Are the PPS?
Yeah, I’ve been on with Northern Monkeys for over twelve months now – a labour of love, in working progress. It will differ vastly from my first foray in to writing because you must have comprehended that there was a main nucleus to yarns in WFG/Oh Yes... NM’s will have fables on cults, music and fashion plus much, much more since the ‘50’s, in the North, wedged between its bindings. These urban narratives of subcultures, dancehalls & clobber aren’t myths and need airing. The list of raconteurs and fabulists onboard is quite impressive too – if I say so myself.

The book covers a fifty year span. Have you found it difficult to research and write about all of the subcultures which took place during these years?
I have, to an extent, because my stories and incidents that occurred, involved me in some which way or form that are documented in WFG/Oh Yes... There’s a saying that if you stick to what you know, you can’t go far wrong. So, this is why I’ve been very lucky that people that have been through experiences and era’s that I have only read or watch on TV are willing to shed light on their diverse enclaves within subdivisions. And, the roots of different integrated networks of behaviourally beliefs and attitudes of these cults – if you get the gist of the drift? They all have stories tell, and they tell them well too. Most contributors are Northerners but, there is the odd shandy drinker that I’ve let write a short saga to defend themselves in the book – isn’t there Jimmy!

Nearer the time of Northern Monkeys release I’ll explain in detail the books full contents, maybe over an ale that you buy me down The Smoke?

How did you contact people and convince them to contribute to the book?
I only learned to switch a PC on 3 years ago – WFG was dictated. But I knew quite a lot of the ‘faces’ that have embraced what I want to capture about the grim North before setting off on my quest to do so. Others I’ve got to know through friends of friends. Some I’ve dropped an email. And there’s characters who approached me on hearing about the project. The project of putting the story straight of which came first - the chicken, or the egg?

They’re a great motley, heterogeneous bunch to say the least. Their ages range from 67 years, down to whippier snappers of just seventeen. So, hopefully, Northern Monkeys will be of curiosity – that killed the cat – not only to Northerners but southerners too. Plus, every generation that’s shown a preoccupation in what was ‘happening’ at their moment in time. And, what they’ve left for further generations to read with inquisition about, or grimace at.

We'd like to thank Bill for taking the time out for this chat. "Oh Yes, Oh Yes, We Are the PPS" can be purchased online from Amazon or from most decent bookstores. It's a great read.

We'd also recommend visiting Bill's site – Waiting For Glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment